Special Needs Siblings
It is time for our super siblings to have the support they deserve in order live their best life! Often siblings do not realize the power of connecting with other siblings until they experience it.
To strengthen the sibling voice. Special Needs Siblings, Inc. does this through raising awareness, support and resources on family at a time.
Special Needs Siblings, Inc. is to educate, empower and encourage the siblings of disabled individuals by providing resources and support for the SNS family.
Sibling Support Groups
” For those of you not familiar with Sibshops, they are not therapy, but their effect may be therapeutic for some children. Sibshops are offered to Sibs 7 to 15 years of age.”
SNS Super Sibs
Offering Sibshops in Southwest Atlanta. Sibshops are lively celebrations of the many contributions made by the brothers and sisters of kids with special needs. They acknowledge that being the brother or sister of a person with special needs is for some a good thing, others a not-so-good thing, and for many somewhere in between. They reflect the belief that brothers and sisters have much to offer one another, if they are given the chance. Sibshops are offered to Sibs 8 to 15 years of age.
Make a Change
Why are siblings so important?
- Siblings often have the longest-lasting relationships in their lives with each other.
- Many of the estimated 4.9 million individuals with development disabilities (I/DD) in the United States have brothers and sisters.
- Siblings often become the next generation of caregivers when parents are unable to priced care. Frequently, the oldest female siblings become the caregiver.
- The peer nature of the relation makes siblings uniquely positioned to support their brothers and sisters with disabilities to lead self-determining lives. This support can include areas such as employment, voting, transportation, healthcare, housing and more.
- While support programs and services have been developed for individuals with I/DD and their parents supports for siblings have been limited.